The PAC is an advisory committee appointed by the Board of Education of the Mecosta-Osceola Intermediate School District. It is authorized by Rule 340.1838 of the Special Education Code which reads as follows:
A Parent Advisory Committee shall be appointed by each Intermediate School District Board.
- The committee shall consist only of parents of handicapped persons with at least one (1) parent from each constituent local school district.
- Each constituent local Board of Education shall nominate at least one (1) parent.
- The Intermediate School District Board of Education may nominate additional members not to exceed 33 1/3% of the total Parent Advisory Committee membership.
The Parent Advisory Committee shall function on a continuous, active basis: to assist the Intermediate School District and constituent districts in achieving total delivery of special education programs and services to all individuals with handicaps. The PAC shall attempt to achieve these goals by:
- Being representative of the needs and desires of individuals with handicaps and their families.
- Becoming aware of Special Education programs and the functioning of such programs.
- Actively promoting the welfare of persons with handicaps through parent and public education.
- Being open to hear the concerns expressed by parents of persons with handicaps and by other concerned community individuals.
- Reviewing the proposed Special Education Plan for the MOISD during its development and making recommendations regarding the plan to the Director of Special Education. The PAC shall make a yearly review of the MOISD Plan for the current year.