SEPTEMBER School Improvement Activities
For a list of all the Fall activities - see the Practical School Improvement Timeline site. Information comes from that site, and all originals can be found there.
- Pre-test students, then utilize pre-test data and benchmarking data to drive instruction
- Implement specific activities from “School Improvement One-Pager” (one to two page summary of school improvement plan)
- Begin an Instructional Learning Cycle within your PLC, department, or grade level.
- 2013-14 School year created School Improvement Plan due September 1, 2014 , or as directed by districts.
- Present to School Board your “accreditation” status, Annual Ed Report and practical School Improvement Plan (suggested key data points and overview of strategies)
- Administer fall benchmarking assessments (Delta Math, DIBELS, writing prompts, etc.)
- Hold monthly school improvement meeting (1st for the school year): Printable Sign in sheet; Sample September Agenda
- How will we make sure action steps in each goal are moving forward under the identified timelines?
- How will we know that action steps are being implemented with fidelity by staff?
- What is our structure for the school improvement team meetings to discuss progress throughout the year?
- Establish a school improvement meeting calendar
- Review implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of SI Plan
- Establish universal screening for new, incoming students
- Share school Annual Education Report at a parent meeting by October 15
- Implement administrative monitoring plan of strategies/activities
- Provide input on parent survey to be given at conferences
- Identify October SIT meeting objectives; build meeting agenda
- Check status of federal funds for each school that receives money; make all necessary modifications.
- Begin Registered Educational Personnel (REP) data entry
- AdvancEd: ASSIST platform for school improvement plan reporting
- MI School Data Michigan Data portal
- Michigan Dept of Education
Online Tool Kits
- Wayne RESA
- Practical MI School Improvement Timeline
- School Improvement in Maryland - has many useful school improvement resources and ideas
More Help Documents:
Assist: School Data Analysis diagnostic- Kathy Stewart of Gratiot Isabella RESD has created a step-by-step guide with screenshots of how to access the data needed to complete this diagnostic.
Find Top 30/Bottom 30 in the BAA secure site Kathy Stewart of Gratiot Isabella RESD has created a step-by-step guide with screenshots of how to access the data since the system has changed.
Cite the Research:
Best Evidence Encyclopedia - from Johns Hopkins University
Instructional Changes and School Improvement related to the Common Core ELA Shifts PowerPoint - by CharEm ISD
Adolescent Literacy Research and Standards At a Glance - Wayne RESA and CharEm ISD have created a useful chart of the most impactful research based literacy strategies
K-12 Mathematics Numeracy Research and Standards at a Glance - Wayne RESA and CharEm ISD have created a useful chart of the most impactful research based math strategies
Language for Funding
FAME program - This is some language you can include in your SIP to tie to your consolidated app to request funding for implementing FAME