OCTOBER School Improvement Activities
For a list of all the Fall activities - see the Practical School Improvement Timeline site. Information comes from that site, and all originals can be found there.
Alternate Checklist available here.
- Collect, organize and analyze data of students new to the school.
- Implement specific activities from School Improvement Plan.
- Complete Instructional Learning Cycle within your PLC, department or grade level and consider beginning a new ILC based on reflection on the first.
- Continue to track student progress with formative assessments; analyze data and make refinements to instruction
- Hold Monthly School Improvement Meeting (2for the school year) Printable Sign in sheet; Sample October Agenda
How will we make sure action steps in each goal are moving forward under the identified timelines and being implemented with fidelity by staff?
- Implement specific activities of School Improvement Plan
- Compile summaries of both adult monitoring data (fidelity of implementation of SI strategies) and student impact data (generated from Fall benchmarking or other assessments–identifies student need as it relates to chosen strategies) to use when reporting to District Improvement Team during October meeting
- Hold public meeting for School Annual Education Report by October 15. Date Held:
- Administer parent survey at conferences or another venue
- Discuss School Process Profile and how to collect staff perspective on SPR 40 or SPR 90 indicators
Option 1: Send out an electronic survey tool for all staff to complete then discuss key indicators in a follow-up staff meeting
Option 2: Divide indicators to be addressed by staff teams that are composed of a variety of grade levels and/or departments.
Option 3: Combine the two previous options OR create your own process
- Collect (update) data for staff demographic section of School Data Profile
- Identify November SIT meeting objectives; build meeting agenda
- Hold District Improvement Team (DIT) meeting to analyze building-level summaries of both adult monitoring and student impact data. Sign in sheet
- Make adjustments to District Improvement Plan based on analysis of building-level summaries
- Final Expenditure Report (FER) for previous school year grants available in the Cash Management System (CMS ) with Final Submission DUE by late November
- Title I Comparability Reports (Link) - open now and due December 9, 2013.
- REP (Registry of Educational Personnel) recommended due date of November 1
- MDE posts final allocations, and amendment window opens in mid-October. Check status of federal funds for each school that receives money. Remember only ONE amendment allowed prior to December 14.
- AdvancEd: ASSIST platform for school improvement plan reporting
- MI School Data Michigan Data portal
- Michigan Dept of Education
Online Tool Kits
- Wayne RESA
- Practical MI School Improvement Timeline
- School Improvement in Maryland - has many useful school improvement resources and ideas
More Help Documents:
Assist: School Data Analysis diagnostic- Kathy Stewart of Gratiot Isabella RESD has created a step-by-step guide with screenshots of how to access the data needed to complete this diagnostic.
Find Top 30/Bottom 30 in the BAA secure site Kathy Stewart of Gratiot Isabella RESD has created a step-by-step guide with screenshots of how to access the data since the system has changed.
Cite the Research:
Best Evidence Encyclopedia - from Johns Hopkins University
Instructional Changes and School Improvement related to the Common Core ELA Shifts PowerPoint - by CharEm ISD
Adolescent Literacy Research and Standards At a Glance - Wayne RESA and CharEm ISD have created a useful chart of the most impactful research based literacy strategies
K-12 Mathematics Numeracy Research and Standards at a Glance - Wayne RESA and CharEm ISD have created a useful chart of the most impactful research based math strategies
Language for Funding
FAME program - This is some language you can include in your SIP to tie to your consolidated app to request funding for implementing FAME