NOVEMBER School Improvement Activities
For a list of all the Fall activities - see the Practical School Improvement Timeline site. Information comes from that site, and all originals can be found there.
- Submit progress data for each of your school improvement initiatives
- Teacher teams track student progress with formative assessments; analyze data and make refinements to instruction.
- Consider keeping Instructional Learning Cycles as a part of your PLC time.
- Hold monthly School Improvement Meeting (3rd for the school year) Printable Sign in sheet; Sample November Agenda
- Monitor the impact strategies are having on student achievement
- Measure student progress towards measurable objectives
- Collect progress monitoring data of school improvement initiatives.
- Does the data support implementation with fidelity?
- Does the data show initial indications of student success?
- Is what we are doing working and how do we know?
- If not completed in October, administer parent survey
- Provide input on the staff survey
- Update the School Data Profile with previous school year suspensions/expulsions and excessive absences
- Implement the SPR 40 or SPR 90 survey to staff if this was the chosen route for data collection
- Ensure that the strategies/interventions supporting each student performance goal are moving forward under the identified timelines
- Begin formal evaluation of existing supplementary programs and SI Plan (Dec – March)
- Identify December SIT meeting objectives; build meeting agenda
- REP (Registry of Educational Personnel) submission DUE December 1 (though MDE recommends completion by November 1)
- Final Expenditure Report (FER) has a final submission date of late November for current fiscal year grants. Carryover is automatically calculated and incorporated into next year’s consolidated application when FER is certified in CMS .
- Title I Comparability (Link) DUE in MEGS typically the first week in December
- MDE has posted final allocations (sometime in October) and amendment window is open. Remember only ONE amendment allowed for Consolidated App prior to January 15
- December 1 is the final submission data for the original Consolidated Application with DIP and Title I School Selection (TISS)
- Begin formal program evaluation of existing supplementary programs and SI Plan (Dec–March)
- AdvancEd: ASSIST platform for school improvement plan reporting
- MI School Data Michigan Data portal
- Michigan Dept of Education
Online Tool Kits
- Wayne RESA
- Practical MI School Improvement Timeline
- School Improvement in Maryland - has many useful school improvement resources and ideas
More Help Documents:
Assist: School Data Analysis diagnostic- Kathy Stewart of Gratiot Isabella RESD has created a step-by-step guide with screenshots of how to access the data needed to complete this diagnostic.
Find Top 30/Bottom 30 in the BAA secure site Kathy Stewart of Gratiot Isabella RESD has created a step-by-step guide with screenshots of how to access the data since the system has changed.
Cite the Research:
Best Evidence Encyclopedia - from Johns Hopkins University
Instructional Changes and School Improvement related to the Common Core ELA Shifts PowerPoint - by CharEm ISD
Adolescent Literacy Research and Standards At a Glance - Wayne RESA and CharEm ISD have created a useful chart of the most impactful research based literacy strategies
K-12 Mathematics Numeracy Research and Standards at a Glance - Wayne RESA and CharEm ISD have created a useful chart of the most impactful research based math strategies
Language for Funding
FAME program - This is some language you can include in your SIP to tie to your consolidated app to request funding for implementing FAME